24 November 1948
MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD
1. To obtain authority from the Secretary of Defense for Air Force
participation in the preparation of magazine and newspaper articles dealing
with the "flying saucer" incidents.
FACTS AND DISCUSSION:
2. Mr. Stanley Shallet, a member of the staff of the Saturday
Post, has been directed to write an article for the Post
dealing with the
"flying saucer" incidents. Mr. Shallet has
approached the Director of In-
telligence for assistance in the preparation of this article.
3. It is the opinion of the Directorate of Intelligence that publi-
city of this nature is undesirable but, if such articles are written, they
will be less harmful to the national interest if a degree of guidance in
their preparation is exercised by the Directorate of Intelligence.
4. Sufficient unclassified data is on hand in the Air
Division, D/I, to assist in the preparation of an article on the "flying
saucer" incidents. Project officers to give
guidance to Mr. Shallet are
available within the Air Intelligence Division.
5. Signature by the Director of Intelligence and forwarding.
Brig. General E. Moore, Chief, Air Intelligence Division, Ext 2542