“CONVARIETY” - September, 1952

(The General Dynamics Company Magazine,
Convair Division, San Diego, California)


Two Convair pilots, flying freight from San Diego to Fort Worth late last month, had something to talk about during the last quarter hour of their flight.

Pilot Loran Pilling didn’t come out and say he'd seen a “flying saucer” but did indicate that he had seen something he couldn't explain.  Neither could co-pilot Russ Fishback explain it.

“It looked like the landing light of a plane and was at maybe 5,000 feet, ahead of us.  We were at 3,000 feet.  It was about 9:25 p.m. when we sighted it and we never got close enough to see a shape.”

Whatever it was could climb at a high rate of speed for later it raced up to 20,000 or 25,000 feet, and also could hover, for it seemed to hang in the air.  On landing at Fort Worth Pilling found he and Fishback weren't the only ones to view the phenomenon.

The field tower had been watching too.

“Don't ask me what it was," Pilling said, “I just know I saw something.”

Letter to Paul Cerny of MUFON, from Convair co-pilot witness, Russ Fishback

6338 Colonial Dr.      
Boise, Idaho 83705   
February 26 , 1971   

Dear Mr. Cerny

I first observed this light a considerable distance ahead.  It was perhaps a bit more prominent than any others when first observed. After several minutes I suddenly wondered why we hadn't reached its position.

When I began concentrating on the light I realized it was not attached to the ground.  I had seen the Military drop flares during night maneuvers in the past.  About that time I was confused and commented to Lauren Pilling who felt it was a very unusual light also: unusual because it was definitely not on the ground and yet not settling as a flare would do.

About this time we were suddenly aware that we were approaching it (the light) which for the first time changed its position by moving toward the right of our course, at about our altitude.  The rate of closure was suddenly very rapid.  We did a very steep right-hand turn to follow the light which had begun to climb rapidly and pass toward our right rear.  It began a very rapid climb to many thousands of feet, where it appeared to stop again.

We finished a 360 and proceeded to Fort Worth, our home base. Shortly thereafter we called our operations radio at Convair-Fort Worth and advised of our estimated arrival in about 15 or 20 minutes.  At this contact I recall our Convair employee asking if we had seen any "flying saucers".

This certainly proved that we had seen something.  I believe he also added that the light was seen by tower personnel and two F-86's were dispatched but the light was not caught up to by them.

I looked at the light very carefully at our closest point but could not make out any shape.  There could have been two flames being emitted.  I was in the right seat, it was a clear but dark night.  The only maneuver it appeared to make was: motion was commenced toward the east and at right angles to our course.  Its course appeared to change to a right turn and a climb as we got within relative close proximity.  Originally the light appeared to remain in one place.

I have never seen anything like this prior or subsequent to the incident described above.

Hope this will be of some value to you.  It is all I am able to provide.


(Signed) Russ Fishback

    Download Sighting Report as .pdf Document

Strasburg, VA . Northern Virginia Daily - Sept. 15, 1952

Flying Saucers Are Guided Missiles,
Says Top Physicists, Military Experts

They're real....they're Red.....and they're American too!      

     This remarkable analysis, which sheds the first real light on the true nature of the so-called "flying saucers," is the joint work of three People Today editors who interviewed America's top physicists and military and civilian experts on ultrasonic flight.   Their conclusions, which appear in the current issue of People Today, came independently.

     Flying saucers are guided missiles, both American and Soviet.  The inescapable conclusion from world-wide reports is that the Red saucers are launched from Atomgrad No. 3, a heavily-guarded missile center in a barren waste near the Finnish border.  Swedish authorities have detected their passage as they hurtled across Scandinavia in a direct line for this hemisphere.  Other Red launching sites are in Siberia.

     The Soviet missiles are crewless, between 50 and 75 ft. in length, about 14 ft. deep.  Rockets provide their main power source but they also carry auxiliary motors, possibly jets.  Ovoid in shape, they reach altitudes of 80-100,000 ft., attain speeds in excess of 2,500 mph.

     Loaded with cameras and electronic observation devices, the missiles seem to have but one mission at present — to reconnoiter U.S.  atomic and military installations.  They could as easily carry atomic warheads.

     The Soviet missiles are remote-controlled.  Red submarines, posted strategically in a chain across the Atlantic, are equipped with electronic monitor boards to guide the missiles through each sub's "control area."  Thus, a missile originally launched on a course that would place it over Washington, D.C., may be diverted by a sub off Nova Scotia (where unidentified subs have been reported) to a course aimed at the Brookhaven Laboratories on Long Island, close to Manhattan.

     The Red saucers need not return to base to deliver their reconnaissance data.  Their findings, including aerial photos, automatically beamed to a sub or other secret station, are reproduced and delivered to intelligence headquarters in Moscow.  To prevent its falling into non-Red hands, each missile carries a high-explosive destructor charge which can blow it to bits the instant a button on the sub is pushed.

     The Soviet long-range snorkel submarine program for guided missile work was reported by Allied intelligence as far back as '48.  These subs, developments of the Germany type XXVI, which had a 1,160 ton displacement, can cruise under water at the phenomenal speed of 24 knots and remain submerged indefinitely.

     For 36 months the U. S. has been working frantically to keep ahead of Russia in the guided missile field. Dr. Karl Compton, one of the nation's great scientists, has envisioned huge, crewless missiles screaming through the ionosphere 6,000 mph.  Said Dr. Compton in 1949: "...the picture of smashing a vital electronic development on the outskirts of Moscow from a launching pad somewhere in the United States in not pure fantasy."

     Today, U.S. rockets are being launched from the Joint-Services proving grounds on Cape Canaveral in Florida.  These rockets carry electronic devices, can carry atomic warheads.  Should one go out of control, a scientist at the base bits the "destructor button" on his control board and an explosive charge in the rocket blows it up.  Military authorities will admit that flights of as long as 500 miles have been made by these guided missiles over the Caribbean. Reports of saucers and other mysterious "objects" sighted in this area frequently refer to these missiles.  Our officials aren't worried about these reports.  They are jolted, however, by the 400-odd "unexplained" saucers and fireballs which have crisscrossed our skies, appearing in their biggest concentrations over vital atomic and defense centers.

     "Of course flying saucers are real," declared a regular U.S. Air Force officer stationed in New Mexico.   "They are not mass delusions. Don't be sucked in by denials in publicity used to cover up AF investigations. Flying saucers are regularly seen over Los Alamos."      During WW II, U.S. pilots in Europe and in the Pacific reported glowing globes, mostly green, which followed their planes at fixed distances, made no hostile moves.  They just "seemed to watch," pilots reported.  Intelligence took it seriously.

     In 1945 following detailed reports by B-29 crew flying missions over Honshu, the 21st Bomber Command's intelligence officers decided that the fireballs were remote-controlled guided missiles.  Recently, fireballs have been seen over Korea, Alaska and the southwest U.S.  The Pentagon is particularly disturbed because they resemble American developments which were considered exclusive and top secret.

     Attempts to pass the fireballs off as meteors were spiked by Dr. Lincoln LaPaz, head of the Institute of Meteorics at the University of New Mexico. "I have never seen a natural meteor with the characteristics of the yellow-green fireballs," he told People Today.  "Meteors blow up with a loud explosion. These disintegrate with complete absence of sound.  Sightings here and in Scandinavia lead me to believe that fireballs and the so-called saucers may be guided missiles -- some possibly ours, some possibly Russian.  In any case, they are Earth-born.

     "It is possible that the yellow-green fireball is not the missile itself but the remaining part of a missile in the final phase of self-destruction.  It does not explode -- it simply evaporates in a flash of light."

     Said Dr. LaPaz: "Compare the saucers with the atomic bomb.  If someone had asked a Manhattan Project official for an explanation of the brilliant mushroom of light at Alamogordo, he would have received a blank stare and been told that no such thing ever happened."

Palm Beach Florida, Post-Times - Sept. 15, 1952

Cattle Stampeded Twice
By Mysterious “Object”

A herd of cattle at the Everglades Experiment Station, Belle Glade, was stampeded twice early Sunday by a circular object which hovered over the ground while it “buzzed like a high voltage wire and gave off an odor somewhat like acid or ammonia.”

This was revealed by Fred J. Brown, worker at the station, who said he was preparing to milk the cows at the pre-dawn hour of 4:30 am Sunday when he spotted the object, about 35 feet in diameter, hovering about 20 feet above tree level.

He said the object had a row of red and amber lights alternately spaced around the outside rim and on the underside. Brown, who did not call it a “flying saucer,” told his story to Civil Defense officials of Belle Glade.

Fred Brown, H. O. Carlton, Belle Glade city commissioner and Clyde

FRED BROWN is shown describing a mysterious flying object that he saw to H. O. Carlton, Belle Glade city commissioner, and Clyde Clayton, assistant chief aircraft observer for the Belle Glade District.  Brown saw the object about 4:30 am Sunday as he was about to milk the dairy herd at the Everglades Experiment Station, Belle Glade.

Brown’s report of what he saw as he started to milk the Experiment Station herd:

He went out toward the Station barn, when he saw what appeared to be a large red light hovering above the barn.  He said he figured it about 100 feet above the ground.

It settled to about 40 feet from the ground.

The 13 cows bolted.

After causing the cattle to bolt, it disappeared.

Unnerved, he drove the cattle back to the barn, when the object appeared a second time, coming from the south and continuing in a northerly direction.

He estimated the rate of speed at approximately 30 mph.  The glow from the saucer was bright enough to illuminate the ground as it passed, he said.  It gave off a peculiar odor, described as acrid, yet smelling somewhat like ammonia.  The odor was so strong it made his eyes smart, and burned his nostrils, he said.

Mr. Brown said he attempted to arouse the occupants of two houses across the road, about 75 feet away, but the object disappeared before he could awaken them.

It was 5:20 am before he could corral the cattle again to resume milking.  Evidently the animals were excited, as their milk production was off from five to six gallons.  (They gave nine gallons instead of 15.)  Production was still somewhat off in the afternoon, he reported.

In charge of the dairy herd at the station since last July, Brown said he at first thought the object might have been a blimp.  But, the object possessed no apparent motor or propeller, he said. He saw no opening or windows.

Miami, Florida, Miami Daily News - Sept. 16, 1952

Saucer Stampedes Herd

Miami Daily News Correspondent

Belle Glade, Sept. 16—Belle Glade can be added to the cities throughout the nation reporting the observance of flying saucers.

One was sighted early Sunday morning at the Everglades Experiment Station as Fred J. Brown was about to milk the station herd of 13 cows.

Brown arrived at the dairy barn about 4:30 a.m. and was in the barn getting the feed ready prior to milking when he heard a loud humming sound like that made by high voltage electric wires.

Red, Amber Lights

He went to the door to investigate and found that the cattle which were waiting to be fed had bolted and run to the far end of the pasture about a quarter mile away.

Looking up Brown saw a circular object approximately 35 feet in diameter with a row of red and amber lights alternately spaced around the outside rim on the underside.

When first seen, the “saucer” was about 20 feet above tree level. He estimated it to be about 70 feet from the ground. It seemed to settle over the barn until it descended to a height of approximately 40 feet, then veered to the west and went out of sight.

Acrid Odor

Brown reported he was unnerved, but went after the cattle and had driven them back to the barn when the object appeared again, this time coming from the south and going in a northerly direction.

He estimated the rate of speed as approximately 30 miles an hour. The glow from the “saucer” was bright enough to light up the ground as it passed, and it gave off a peculiar odor best described as acrid yet smelling somewhat like ammonia.  The odor was so strong it made his eyes smart and burned his nostrils, Brown said.

On the second appearance the object gained altitude and disappeared, but not before the cattle and horses again bolted and ran to the end of the pasture.

Brown attempted to arouse the occupants of two houses across the road about 75 feet away, but the object disappeared before he could awaken them.

It was 5:20 a.m. before he was able to corral the cattle again and start the milking.  Evidently the animals were excited for their milk production was off 5 to 6 gallons.  Usually the herd gives about 15 gallons of milk at the morning milking.  Production was also off somewhat in the afternoon, Brown said.

No Explanation

Brown has been in charge of the dairy herd at the station since last July and stated that he had never been afraid of the dark or any natural phenomena and that he couldn’t explain what he had seen by any relative comparison.

At first, he thought, it might be a blimp, but the object possessed no apparent motor or propeller. He was not able to discern any openings or windows.

Fred J. Brown was interviewed soon after this incident by veteran Pan American Airways Pilot and UFO witness, William B. Nash.   He and George Wolfer made the following notes of their meeting:

Interview of Fred Brown, by George Wolfer and Bill Nash on April 9, 1954

George Brown is respected by his work-fellows and superiors to whom we talked first.  He is forty-five years old, approximately, honest faced, sturdy farmer-type who doesn't waste words, but tells a straightforward story of his experience.  He offers no explanation for what the thing was.  Won't call it a saucer.  He served four years and 8 months under General Patton, and says he doesn't scare easily, but felt shaky for a couple of days after the experience.

The experience is as in the clipping, with the additions that the cows dropped off in milk production from 15 gallons to ten gallons for the next 3 days and didn't fully recover for 3 weeks.  Also the horses in the field broke down a corner of the fence, and a gate of another fence, and it took all day to get them back.  Neither the cows nor the horses wanted to return to the area.

40 feet, were on the bottom of the rim of the thing (which was silvery and convex on the bottom), and the lights were about fifty to sixty in number, alternately amber and red.

He said that he forget all about a 30-30 rifle he had in the barn, or he'd have taken a shot at the thing.  (Glad he forgot!)

His address is 311 S.W. Main St., Belle Glade, Fla. Phone - 3063.

Some workers who arrived later than he did on the job asked him what he’d been spraying with, and he told them about the strange machine which emitted the a(m)monia like odor and sounded like shorted-out high tension wires in the morning dew.

Both the Army and Navy questioned him the next day, and when he asked them questions in turn they told him that they were there to ask questions — not to answer them.

George and I were impressed with the integrity and sincerity of Fred Brown.  We photographed him on the spot of the occurrence and tape-recorded his story.

Note:- Fred Brown said that he could only hear the low humming sound when the saucer was close to him, but that there was no sound when the object sped away at a great rate.

See also: Scientists See Flying "Object" In Everglades .


Lawrence, Mass. EAGLE - Sept. 20, 1952

"Flying Saucer" Seen Over City

Two Young Men Make Startling Discovering (sic)---

Notify Air Force

     A "Flying Saucer," the aerial phenomena which has authorities baffled in their attempt to determine its identity and makeup, was observed by two youths in the Concord street area shortly before 1:30 a. m. today.

     The young men, Raymond Sharkey, 20 Birchwood road, Methuen, and Robert Sullivan, 61 Arlington street, hurriedly advised authorities at the Westover Air Force Base in Chicopee of their observation.

     Sullivan said that the "saucer," which he described as elliptical in shape, made no noise in its flight which appeared to be sideways. "In fact," he said, "it looked like a little white cloud and was flying at a terrific rate of speed.

     "It was flying very high and we were able to observe it for about ten seconds before it disappeared from our view over one of the tall buildings.  It was heading north.

      "We just can't believe it.  I was skeptical once, and thought it was a reflection people saw but I've changed my mind now," Sullivan declared.

Albany, N.Y. KNICKERBOCKER NEWS - Sept. 20, 1952

'Mainbrace' Has File On 'Flying Saucers'

Topcliffe, England --(AP)-- "Operation Mainbrace" headquarters here opened a new signal file today:

     "Flying saucer sightings and movements."

     The Air Ministry said it was investigating a report of a silver-colored circular object moving through the sky about 15,000 feet up at a speed faster than a shooting star.

     During the brief glimpse -- between 15 and 30 seconds -- the object was reported to have switched its course and then seemed to descend.

Syndicated Column - September 20, 1952

Robert S. Allen

Meteor Expert Discusses Green Fireballs

Robert S. Allen is on vacation.  In his absence, his column today is written by Dr. Lincoln LaPaz, Director of the Institute of Meteoritics of the University of New Mexico, the only institute of its kind in the U. S.  Dr. LaPaz is a world authority on meteoritics and other “flying objects.”

* * *

By Lincoln LaPaz

(Director, Institute of Meteoritics, University of New Mexico)

Dr Lincoln LaPaz ALBUQUERQUE, N. Mex.– Any discussion of the remarkable “green fireballs” so frequently observed in recent years in the Southwest must begin with an appraisal of the accuracy of eyewitness accounts of these objects.  Admittedly, the majority of fireball reports relate to ordinary meteoric phenomena, although those reporting usually believe they have sighted something strange.

Meteoriticists, however, have little difficulty in screening out observations that merely describe exceptionally bright shooting stars.  The observations that remain differ in many important particulars from those relating to ordinary balls.  Is one justified in accepting these non-conforming observations as dependable?

Perhaps it is well to be guided by analogy in answering this question.  The writer's service as Technical Director, Operations Analysis Section, Headquarters Second Air Force, began while General U. G. Ent was Commanding Officer.  I well recall that at one of my first conferences with General Ent, we discussed numerous bright stationary fireballs sighted in North American skies.  During ordinary shooting stars showers stationary meteors are occasionally seen; but since such immobile luminous objects are produced only by those few grains of cosmic debris headed directly at each particular observer, they are of such rare occurrence that few readers of this column will recall ever having seen one – especially a blindingly bright one.

*  *  *

IT is therefore understandable why meteoriticists discounted the reliability of frequent reports of bright stationary fireballs.  However, they soon had cause to regret their skepticism, for recovery of Japanese balloon assemblies disclosed that the huge hydrogen-filled paper envelopes of these balloons had a half-pound charge of a magnesium flash powder mixture cemented to them.

The reader will recall that the founder of scientific rocketry, Dr. Robert H, Goddard of Clark College, while seeking a signaling device for announcing the arrival of a rocket on the moon, tested many such flash powder mixtures and showed that ignition of a few grains of magnesium flash powder would produce a flash “strikingly visible” more than two miles away.  It is therefore not surprising that ignition of the half-pound powder charges which the Japanese attached to their balloons produced a brief flash of such enormous light intensity as to be visible as a “stationary fireball” at very great distances.

Stripped of some of our skepticism about strange fireball reports by the example just given, we can profitably scrutinize more closely some of the characteristics reported for the green fireballs.  One of the peculiarities of these objects is that, unlike the ordinary meteors which flash across the sky at all angles to the horizon, with few exceptions, each green fireball is described by all who witness it (irrespective of the positions of the observers with respect to the real path of the fireball) either as falling vertically or as moving horizontally.

A self-destructive device functioning along the terminal arc of a missile-trajectory, such as that traveled by the typical V-2 rocket of 1944 on its way from German bases to London, would give rise to a nearly vertical luminous path.

*  *  *

POSSIBLE explanation of the horizontally moving green fireballs is suggested by statements on satellite vehicles and their “circular orbits” and “approach ellipses” made by Dr. Heinz Haber and Dr. Wernher von Braun, two of the foremost experts in the space-flight field, in a handbook, Physics and Medicine of the Upper Atmosphere, published in August 1952 by the University of New Mexico Press.  This handbook, which should be required reading for those who ridicule the possibility of intercontinental missiles and satellite vehicles, contains on page 576 the following comments by Dr. Haber:

“During the next phase, the development will be directed toward the establishment of a manned artificial satellite as the principal goal.  In contrast to general belief, this project does not call for rockets energized by atomic power plants, which are still rather hypothetical.  The manned artificial power plants exceeding 1,000 tons.  No major objection can be advanced against the possibility of building rockets of this size.”

A second curious characteristic, reported for the green fireballs is that they are observed to “gang up” those times when ordinary shooting stars occur in greatest numbers.  For example, the greatest concentration of green fireballs so far observed occurred during late October, November, and early December 1951 – a period comprising the end of the annual Orionid meteor shower and the epochs of the Leonid, Bielid, and Geminid meteor shows which also put on a display each year.  Furthermore, the visible paths of the green fireballs in question radiated from approximately the same position as the northernmost point in the sky from which the ordinary unimpressive Bielid meteors have been seen to emanate.

*  *  *

ONE interpretation is, of course, that the green fireballs are, after all, simply giant Bielid meteors of unusual composition.  Another like the bacteriologist who can readily brew up the cultures he wishes to study in his own laboratory, the fireball investigator is ...[words missing] ..a less reassuring interpretation is suggested by Dr. Louis N. Ridenour's sombre play, “Pilot Lights of the Apocalypse.”

On the theory that use of a water pistol will attract least attention in a shower of rain, it may be inferred that the testing of long range missiles (which for one reason or another become, or are purposely made luminous in the terminal portions of their trajectories) will take place during such meteor showers as the Perseids mentioned by Ridenour.  Clearly, the identification problem would be still further fouled up if the luminous paths of such missiles were caused to appear to emanate from a known meteoric radiant.

Because of the puzzling nature of the green fireballs, they were the subject of a protracted round-table discussion held during the 15th annual meeting of the Meteoritical Society (an international scientific organization affiliated with the American Association for the Advancement of Science) at the Institute of Meteoritics of the University of New Mexico on September 2, 3 and 4, 1952.  A single member of the Society flatly denied that any such objects as the green fireballs had ever appeared, but under questioning conceded that his remark applied only to the familiar skies of his home state, Texas.  The consensus of all other members was well expressed by Professor Frederick C. Leonard, of the Department of Astronomy at the University of California at Los Angeles.  Dr. Leonard, founder of the Meteoritical Society, stated that in view of the overwhelming observational evidence presented to the Society, he was forced to believe in the existence of the green fireballs which, in his opinion, were certainly not natural objects like the ordinary meteoric fireballs.

* * *

THE reader now will readily understand why meteoriticists heartily welcomed the publicity recently given the “green fireballs” by Columnist Robert S. Allen.  Unsingularly dependent on the cooperation of the general public in his search for any fragments that may fall from these objects, descending as they do widely separated in space and time.

The present guest column has been written in the hope of sharpening the interest of laymen in observing and reporting to the Institute any unusual luminous phenomena seen in the skies, particularly during the meteor shower periods of autumn and winter just ahead.  All such reports will be thoroughly appreciated and, if desired, will be kept in confidence; but, because of the volume of correspondence already carried by the staff of the Institute, acknowledgment will be made only in those cases where the phenomena reported merit intensive investigation.

West Palm Beach, Florida. PALM BEACH TIMES - Sept. 22, 1952

Scientists See Flying "Object" In Everglades

     An object which became too animated to be the harvest moon it at first was believed to be became the focal point of several Everglades Experiment Station officials and their wives early today.

     When sighted by one of the women about 4:20 am in the southeast sky, it was at first thought to be a "very bright harvest moon."

     However, this person realized quickly that it was too bright, and also much out of place in the sky at that time of morning to be a "harvest moon."

     It was about this time the viewer realized it was a round object, with blinking lights around its lower part.

     Although there was a ground haze in the area, the person reported the lights flashed red, green and amber, blinking alternately.

     The sphere moved up and down and from side to side, remaining in the southeast throughout, and being watched about 25 minutes before disappearing in the same direction.

     A few minutes after its disappearance, it reappeared again, but not as near, one observer saying it "looked four or five times larger than a star."

     However, at the (sic) distance, the lights, still blinking alternately appeared red, green and white, the amber missing and the white an addition.

     It moved from side to side, also up and down, staying in its southeast position about 15 minutes before finally disappearing for good.

     Five persons in all witnessed the "flying object," the others being called by the first to observe it, but none was informed of what was seen in the sky.

     The group is well known at the Station, located on Six Mile Rd., three miles from Belle Glade.  None wished use of his name.

See also story: "Saucer Stampedes Herd".

Arlington, VA. DAILY - Sept. 22, 1952

'Bright Objects' Are Reported
Over Fairfax

     Mysterious objects in Fairfax skies were observed for three hours last night by Fairfax police officers and a woman near Centreville.

     "It beats anything I ever saw," said Pvt. Julian Burke.  "l don't know what they were.  It wasn't my imagination because other officers saw them and we were all dead sober."

     The "flying saucers" were reported by Mrs. F.L. Hazelwood, who lives on Route 645, about one mile South of Centreville.  Pvt. Burke, investigating the report, said he watched the objects from Mrs. Hazelwood's house for an hour.

     He said he saw four at one time.  He described them as round, orange-colored objects, about as big as a three-gallon bucket.  He said it was very foggy and the objects appeared to be darting in and out of clouds.

     He said when he first arrived at the Centreville home the objects were closest and appeared to be about 2,000 feet away.  In his description, the officer said the balls would appear first as a small light and then get big as they seemed to get closer.  They disappeared in the same way, he said.

     When the objects would disappear from sight, he said, they still made a white light for a while like a car light shining through the fog, except that they were "very bright."

     He said Sgt. John Wahl also came out to investigate after he radioed back his observations. Burke said he and Wahl watched the objects together for about 20 minutes.

     They returned to the police station about 2 a.m.   There, he said, they saw another similar object.  This time it also was watched by Pvt. Marvin Harrel, desk officer on duty at the time, and two other officers on the night shift, Pvts. Dunn and Lloyd.

     Meanwhile, police had notified the control tower at National Airport of the objects shortly after 1 a.m.  The tower reported that they could not pick up anything on the radar scopes, nor could they see anything.  A Civil Aeronautics spokesman said an American Airline flight passed over Springfield in Fairfax County about the time the "saucers" were reported but the plane couldn't make the type light described.

     The Naval Observatory in Washington this morning said it had no reports of any unusual lights in the sky last night.  A spokesman said a meteor would probably be an orange color but that meteors can be seen only for a few seconds and wouldn't act like those described by police.

     Burke said the object seen at the police station disappeared in the direction of Washington.  After the last one had disappeared police reported the objects to the Department of Defense on instructions from the airport control tower.

     Mrs. Hazelwood says the saucer had a strange smell that made her husband think something was cooking in the backyard.

Washington, D.C.   STAR - Sept. 22, 1952

Fairfax County Has Visitation
From Mysterious Balls of Fire

Police Corroborate Resident's Report
Of Strange Objects in Night Skies

Mysterious balls of fire "bright enough to light the ground" were viewed over Fairfax and Centreville, Va., early today.

     Four Fairfax County policemen sighted the objects when they went to investigate a report of a resident of (sic) near Centreville that she had seen strange lights in the sky.

     Police Pvt. Julian Burke described the sight this way:

     "They came out of the clouds like headlights, then brightened up all at one time."

     There appeared to be three or four bright objects, he said, "going in and out of the clouds."

     With him were Sergt. John Wahl and Pvts. Richard Lloyd and Douglas.   They had gone to investigate "several big balls of fire" reported by Mrs. F. L. Hazelwood of Route 645, about a mile south of Centreville.

     The objects were visible for more than three hours, the policeman said.  They were viewed between 12:50 a m. and 4 a.m.

     Pvt. Burke said over the Centreville area the objects seemed fairly close to the earth and "bright enough to light the ground."  Later, when the policemen returned to Fairfax, the objects appeared to be directly above the police station and high in the air.

     Officials in the control tower at Washington National Airport, apprised of the report, scanned the skies and their radar screen.  They said they saw nothing.  An airplane was in the area at the time, they said. But, they added, this was for a short time only.

     Andrews Air Force Base officials reported no unusual "blips", on the radar screen there.

     Fort Belvoir, where Army physicists have created glowing rings in bell jars, said no experiments were being conducted early today.  The engineer post also ruled out the searchlight possibility, asserting that its lights had not been in use since Friday night.

     The Fairfax County police said that when the objects last were sighted about 4 a.m. they appeared to be headed toward the District.

     The first of numerous calls to police was made by Mrs. Hazelwood, who complained her yard was filled with bright lights and a vile odor.

     Mrs. Hazelwood's daughter Marie told Fairfax officers the odor made her mother ill and was bad enough to make her father get up and go out to see if anything nearby was burning.

Rockhampton, QLD (Australia),   Central Queensland Herald - Sept 25, 1952


LONDON. September 20.—A "flying saucer" entered the Mainbrace manoeuvres today. It was seen by at least 10 officers and crew members of an aircraft operating from the RAF station at Topcliffe, Yorkshire.

The RAF men reported that a silver object, circular in shape, appeared five miles behind a Meteor fighter flying at 15,000 ft.  The object maintained a slow forward speed before descending with a swinging, pendulum motion.

When the Meteor turned back towards the base, the object appeared to follow.  The object then began a rotary motion about its own axis, then suddenly accelerated at an incredible speed in a westerly direction.  It later turned to a south-easterly course.


RAF officers and men said its movements were not identifiable with anything they had seen in the air. The acceleration was greater than that of a shooting star. The incident lasted between 15 and 30 seconds.

Some believe that the object might have been a parachute or cowling from a Meteor aircraft, but none have been reported to have landed in the vicinity.  A signal reporting the object was sent from the air base yesterday.

An Air Ministry spokesman said later: "We have no comment to make on the report of the sighting of a "'flying saucer'."

Charleston, WV  Daily Mail - 27 September, 1952

The air force has a breathtaking report on “flying saucers.”

The study, prepared by noted scientists and air force experts, expresses the belief that some of the mysterious flying objects are genuine and that they originate from “sources outside of this planet.”

That is, these devices are interplanetary aircraft of some kind.

The air force document contains two other sensational findings:

In some instances, flying objects that have been sighted were actually secret U. S. missiles undergoing tests.

Russia is profoundly mystified and worried by “flying saucers” and strongly suspects they are a new U. S. weapon.

The Kremlin now has four different investigations underway in an effort to discover the identity and source of the strange devices.

The air force study is based on more than 1,800 sightings in the past five years.

One important point stressed in the report is that the most authoritative and detailed sightings came from atomic plants and military bases and research centers.

These highly significant sightings number around 20 per cent of the total reported.

Following is a list of the location of the most important of these sightings:

New Mexico - Los Alamos and White Sands atomic plant and testing grounds, Albuquerque, and the Holloman, Kirtland and Walker airbases.

California - Muroc, Travis, Hamilton. George, Edward, Sacramento and Mint Canyon airfields.

Tennessee - Oak Ridge atomic plant, Knoxville and Dickson airbase.

Arizona - Williams, Davis-Monthan and Luke airbases.

Alabama - Maxwell airbase.

Illinois - Scott and O'Hara airbases.

New Hampshire - Grenier airbase.

New York - Mitchell airfield.

Mississippi - Airbases at Jackson, Keesler and Biloxi.

Michigan - Selfridge airfield.

Massachusetts - Westover airfield.

Nebraska - Offutt airbase.

North Carolina - Chapel Hill and Pope airfield.

South Carolina - Spartanburg and airbase at Greenville.

Texas - Kelley and Randolph airfields and other bases at Carswell and San Marcos.

Washington State - Mount Rainier, Mount Jefferson and McChord airbase.

Oklahoma - Tinker airbase, and Norman.

South Dakota - Airbase at Rapid City.

Ohio - Air Force research center at Dayton, and Lockbourne airbase.

The sensational study is the work of the Air Technical Intelligence Center, Wright Patterson air base, Dayton, O.  A number of top scientists are devoting their full time there analyzing reports on flying objects.  Their activities are so secret the air force will not permit the publication of their names.

In fact, no one connected with the project or the report would permit his name to be used.

However, air force authorities are considering publishing certain portions of the report.  Chiefly deterring them is fear the sensational nature of the findings may cause undue public alarm.

These findings were described by a high air force official as “fantastic but true.”

Note: Commenting on the recent flurry of “fireball” reports, Dr. Lincoln La Paz, noted head of New Mexico University's Institute of Meteoritics, said, “Sightings here and in Scandinavia lead me to believe that fireballs and so-called flying saucers may be guided missiles, possibly ours or possibly Russian.  In any case, they are earth-born.”

Perth, Western Australia,   The Mirror - Sept 27, 1952.


New York, Today: US Air Force has a “breathtaking” report expressing belief that some mysterious flying objects seen on the earth originate from “sources outside this planet,” Robert S. Allen, Washington correspondent of New York Post wrote today.

Allen said the report by noted scientists and Air Force officials was based on 1800 “flying saucer observations” in the past 5 years.

Air Force authorities were considering publication of certain portions of the report.

“Chiefly deterring them is the fear that the sensational findings may cause undue public alarm,” Allen continued.  “These findings were described by high Air Force officials as 'fantastic but true'.”

Correspondent said the document contained two other findings:

• In some instances flying objects that have been sighted were actually secret US missiles undergoing test;

• Soviet Union was profoundly mystified and worried by "flying saucers" and strongly suspected they were a New American weapon.

Report said the Kremlin had 4 different investigations under way to discover the identity and source of the devices.

Allen said: One important point stressed in the report is that most authoritative and detailed sightings came from atomic plants, military bases, and research centres.

“The study is the work of Air Technical Intelligence Centre, Wright Patterson Airbase, Dayton, Ohio.  A number of top scientists are devoting their full time there, analysing reports.

“Their activities are so secret, the Air Force will not permit publication of their names.  In fact no-one connected with the project or the report will permit his name to be used.”

Saranac Lake, N.Y. ADIRONDACK ENTERPRISE - Sept. 27, 1952

No Comment Issued On Reported 'Saucer'

CAPE DRUM (AP)-- The Air Force has no comment on an unidentified flying object that reportedly paid a half-hour visit to the Northern New York camp.

     Military authorities said yesterday that the object hovered over the base last Monday night. The information at first had been classified as confidential.

     Eight soldiers said the object was about 200 feet across and trailed red-orange sparks. It circled rapidly and sometimes hovered, they reported.

Buffalo, N.Y. Courier-Express - Sept. 27, 1952

Jet Plane Scares Off Flying Objects

Poughkeepsie, Sept 26 (AP) -- Civil Defense observers today reported seeing six colorful flying objects that disappeared when a jet plane arrived on the scene to investigate.

     Mrs. Arthur D. Benson, supervisor of ground observers at Dover Plains, said ten ground observers saw the objects in the sky the night of September 11th near the Connecticut border.

     She described the objects as "flashing on and off" -- a greenish color with red flash.

     She said she called the civil defense information filter center at White Plains, which advised her to hold the line open to give a running report while a jet plane was sent to investigate.

     Mrs. Benson said when the plane appeared the objects changed to a bluish color and disappeared.

Gloversville, N.Y. HERALD - Sept. 27, 1952


CAMP DRUM (AP) -- Who or what took an uninterrupted 30-minute peek at this Northern New York Military installation from the heavens?

     Military authorities said yesterday an unidentified object zoomed through a half hour of weird aerial gyrations over this base last Monday.

     The incident was classified as confidential military information until yesterday.

     The object was described by camp officials as 20 feet in diameter with an exhaust tail of reddist (sic) orange sparks.

     Eight soldiers who saw the object reported it sounded like the whine of a generator or rotating disks.  Griffis Air Base at Rome was notified of the incident immediately, officials stated.

     The observers said the object hovered, circling rapidly, and occasionally stopped completely.

Noticed at Midnight

     It was noticed by a soldier firing boilers about midnight.  He notified the others who all claimed they saw it in a starless sky.  A duty officer was among the witnesses.

     Air Force officers from Griffis Base questioned the men about characteristics of the object the next day.

     The Air Force would not comment.

Sydney, Australia, Sydney Morning-Herald - March 13, 1955

My Flying Saucer

By Keith Hooper

You didn’t laugh or sneer, did you, when you read about the hundreds of
people who reported seeing a group of glowing objects cross the night
sky in eastern N.S.W. at fantastic speed last week?

DID you laugh over the reports a few weeks before from the conference of the Australian Flying Saucer Research Society at Ballarat?  Not I.  Because I have seen a flying saucer — or rather, a cigar-shaped unidentified flying object.

No, I am not “nuts” — or if I am, there are about a dozen other people crazy with me.  Because they saw the same UFO.

My sighting was so vivid and unnerving I have never forgotten the place and time — over the Adelaide Hills of South Australia at 9.44 p.m. on October 18, 1952.

        Returning home from an assignment for the Adelaide “Advertiser,” I saw against a clear dark sky a greenish-white iridescent cigarlike object, about the size of a Boeing 707 seen about 10 miles distant, moving from left to right across my front and from south-east to north-west.

At first I thought it was an airliner, then I remembered that it was too late for one to be up.

And this aircraft was one long light—and emitted no sound.

In that instant I felt a shiver pass through my, body — I knew that what 1 was looking at was not “natural.”

I stopped still to watch, and as I watched the thing made a sudden right-angle turn upwards and vanished, slowly at first then at tremendous speed.

Immediately on arriving home I told my wife what I had seen — she had remarked that I looked white and shaken — and I telephoned Adelaide Airport control tower which told me there was no aircraft in the-air at that time.

Next afternoon when I reported for duty I told the, “Advertiser” deputy chief-of-staff, Mr D. Jervis, I believed that I had seen a flying saucer the night before.


He laughed, and I did not blame him.  It had been Saturday night.  He reminded me my assignment had been in the Barossa Valley — South Australia’s famed winegrowing area.

I thought perhaps J might have been “seeing thing,” as he hinted.

He was not laughing at me an hour later, however.

By then The “Advertiser” had received a number of reports from people who claimed to have seen a flying cigar between 8 and 10 the night before.

The reports came from as far south as Coonalpyn, on the Adelaide-Melbourne railway, and as far north as Port Pirie.

This placed the sightings all on a south-east/north-east line.

A few days later I had a telephone call from the then S.A. Government Astronomer, Mr G. Dodwell, who asked me to visit him and relate what I had seen.  He had contacted several of the people who claimed to have seen the UFO, got their stories, then contacted me because, he said, a reporter should be able to give a more accurate account than a layman.

Mr Dodwell and I spent an hour together in his observatory on West Terrace during which he questioned me thoroughly — often going back to repeat a question to find out if my answer varied.

Our meeting was at night and we went outside where he made me demonstrate what I had seen against the sky.

Eventually he told me that—

• What I had seen was indeed a moving object and could not—because of the Saturday night conditions — have been a light reflected from the earth.

• The object had been travelling on a magnetic course.

• When I first saw the UFO it would have been travelling about 200 m.p.h., but when I last saw it it had accelerated to 72,000 m.p.h.  (By Mr Dodwell’s calculations, my entire sighting had lasted no longer than five to seven seconds.)


Mr Dodwell — recognised as one of the most able astronomers Australia has produced — also told me, but asked me to keep his confidence (a promise I no longer feel bound to hold, for he died some years ago), that he was convinced that flying objects from outer space did exist.

He said, his research indicated that they had been visiting the earth for centuries.

Much literature told of strange objects seen in, the sky which could be attributed now because of man’s awareness, only to visitations from beyond the earth’s atmosphere.

Since then I have never doubted that UFO are real.

Seldom have I related the happening of, October 18, 1952, because whenever I have, the reaction has been obvious.  And believe me, I was not drunk that night.

Certainly, had I been, what I saw would have sobered me quickly.

I shivered then.  Recalling it now sends a chill down my spine.

Omaha, Nebraska, World-Herald - Oct. 18, 1952

Arctic Navy Pilot Reports
Seeing Strange Phenomena

Chicago Tribune Press Service

Washington—A Navy pilot, chasing a cosmic ray research balloon last August over Greenland, saw some strange "phenomena," the Navy said Friday.

     Cautiously refraining from using the words "flying saucers" and noting that it had little data on the "phenomena," the Navy released the following statement: "About 5 p.m. on 29 August, an 85-foot-diameter balloon carrying a neutron counter from New York University started floating at 90 thousand feet, and had settled to 74 thousand feet when the parachute carrying the instruments was released by a timing device.

     "As the parachute floated away from the balloon on its way down, the pilot of the Navy tracking plane observed three phenomena, which appeared to come out of the balloon and moved toward the sun in the opposite direction to the parachute.  The phenomena were observed for about 30 seconds.

     "The pilot was Lieut. John Callahan, Patrol Squadron 23 of the Thule (Greenland) detachment.  When the parachute was released, the balloon would have an excess free lift and should move vertically at an increased speed which would cause turbulence in the air.

     "This may have resulted in the reflection of sunlight and caused the apparent phenomena."

     The Air Force last August advanced the theory that some of the "flying saucers" being reported at the time were reflections of light rays, or other radiations, against layers of air of different temperatures.

     The Navy report from Greenland suggested that the apparitions Lieutenant Callahan saw were caused by similar reflections of light against the turbulent air.

Honolulu, Hawaii,  HONOLULU STAR-BULLETIN - Nov. 12, 1952

Air Force Tabs All But One
Of 'Flying Saucer' Reports

Eleven reports of flying saucers in the Hawaiian area have been investigated by the Air Force since July 7, 1947, and all but one of them has been attributed to known causes.

Altogether, the Air Force said, mysterious disc-like spheres have been reported 24 times in the Pacific and Far East since an unknown person at Hickam Village first described seeing one more than five years ago.

At the request of The Star-Bulletin, the special section of the Air Force evaluating reports of the saucers compiled the record of sightings in the Pacific and Far East.


Of the 24 reports. 10 of them were of daylight sightings, while 14 observers said they saw the discs at night.

The only Hawaii sighting which the Air Force evaluators could not explain was made last July 16 by crewmen of the submarine Bugara off Lahaina, Maui.  Men who saw the phenomenon through binoculars said in a report that an oval disc that varied in color from white to red as it moved across the sky.

In forwarding its compilation, the Air Force noted that “no photographs (of mysterious flying objects) are available from your area.”

Other Pacific sightings were reported from Wake, Midway, Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines, eight airplanes and one merchant ship.

Accompanying is the Air Force’s record of the 11 reports made in Hawaii.

Saucer 'Sightings' in Hawaii
Hickam AF Base July 7, 1947 Unknown Silver, spherical object Visually from ground Probably balloon
Honolulu Oct. 19, 1948 Air Force pilot Bright silver disc Visually from ground Probably balloon
Hickam AF Base Jan. 4, 1949 Air Force officer Brilliant white disc Visually from ground Probably balloon
Hickam AF Base Dec. 24, 1950 Sergeant and civilians White-orange tail Visually from ground Astronomical
Dec 25, 1950 Air Force pilot Orange flame From the air Astronomical
Honolulu Jan. 8, 1951 Civilian Orange colored flame Visually from ground Astronomical
Lihue, Kauai Jan. 18, 1951 Civilians Silvery disc Visually from ground Probably balloon
Lahaina, Maui July 16, 1952 Submarine personnel White-reddish oval disc Visually from surface (binoculars) Unknown
Honolulu July 29, 1952 Navy officers and others White object Visually from ground Balloon
Hickam AF Base Aug. 4, 1952 Civilian Two cream colored plate-like objects Visually from ground Possibly aircraft
Hickam AF Base Aug 19, 1952 4 civilians Round, shiny, metallic object Visually from ground Probably balloon

Gulf of Mexico - November 22, 1952

Excerpt from Loren Gross, Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse,
Supplemental Notes for November-December, 1952, page 14-16

22 November. Off the Florida Keys. (9:00 p.m.)

"It's coming fast and it's no airplane!"

According to a story in the magazine The Lookout, a seaman named Billy B. Waldeck had a UFO experience the evening of November 22, 1952, as his ship, the liquid petroleum tanker SS Natalie O. Warren, passed through the straits between Key West and Havana, Cuba.  The time was about 9:00 p.m. Waldeck tells us:

"The man on lookout stuck his head through the open wing-deck door announcing excitedly, 'There's an unidentified light in the sky approaching rapidly two points off the stern on the port side.'  The two mates and I lunged across the wheel house and rushed to the wing of the bridge ... 'Woody' elevated his 7x50 night glasses.  He targeted in on the approaching light. 'It's coming fast,' he exclaimed.  'And it's no airplane!'  By now I could see the shining unidentified object without the aid of binoculars.  'It looks like a shooting star to me,'  I said, 'but I never saw a shooting star traveling on a horizontal course.'  The mysterious object, brighter than any planet, lit up the sky directly off our port beam.  Still without much detail, the UFO could not have been over two miles away, directly opposite us.  I judged it to be at an altitude approximately 4,000 feet above the surface of the dark waters below.  Mounting excitement built up in us.  Woody thrust the night glasses at me and shouted, 'Wow!, Sparks! Take a look!'  Then he turned to the lookout man and commanded, 'Go call Captain Zalnick, quick!'  I grabbed the binoculars, focused and zeroed in on the brilliant object.  Awed by what I saw, I shook with nervous reaction.  There before me a huge, glowing, half-round object coursed through the night sky, now crossing our bow a few degrees on the starboard side.  The bizarre spacecraft tilted up to a thirty degree angle allowing us to get a good look at its superstructure.  All details stood out in bold relief, nothing left to the imagination. The visitor from outer space emitted a pulsating, orange glow similar to that of steel heated in a forge [Here is the "orange factor" again].  The upper housing curved up and around like a citrus fruit cut in half.  Around its periphery, evenly-spaced darker circles (obviously portholes) masked an unrevealed interior.  Below, and at the base of the superstructure, three, thick corona rings extended horizontally revolved at some unknown tremendous rate of speed.  These three rings shimmered like the blue portion of a gas flame-yet, with a more electric quality.  The middle-or second ring outward from the main housing-appeared to be revolving in the opposite direction from that of the other two.  An eerie silence hung over our tanker.  Not one infinitesimal shred of sound emanated from this galaxial visitor. Strangely enough, its magnetic presence did not affect our compass or radio communications.  I estimated the diameter at least two hundred feet.  I mentally added another hundred feet to be the distance to the outer corona ring ... By the time any of us thought of cameras, the celestial visitor had dwindled to a bright dot among the stars ... faded out into only a vivid recollection." (xx.)

(xx.) Waldeck, Billy B. The Lookout. Seaman's Church Institute of New York Magazine. Article quoted in Michael Hall's and Wendy Connors' book, Captain Edward J. Ruppert, Summer of the Saucers-1952.  Rose Press International: Albuquerque, New Mexico, 2000. p. 204.  According to Wendy and Mike, an incident of a similar nature occurred to the ship SS Alcoa Ranger as it sailed the waters of the Gulf Mexico.  No details are available.

Project 1947 comment: The merchant ship SS Alcoa Ranger could not have been involved in a UFO incident in the Gulf of Mexico in 1952.  It was sunk on 7 July, 1942, while in Convoy PQ-17 bound for Archangel, USSR, by German submarine U-255.  All the crew survived. We have found no evidence that another carrier bearing the name Alcoa Ranger existed.  This type of attempted hoax requires historians to be alert to such potential deceptions.  Unlike the Alcoa Ranger, the SS Natalie O. Warren was indeed in service in 1952.

See the record of the SS Alcoa Ranger sinking here at

Read the complete story of the SS Natalie O. Warren UFO encounter from "The Lookout" magazine here.

ATIC - The Air Technical Intelligence Center headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base - played a major part in various aspects of trying to research the "flying saucer" problem.  As outlined in General Garland's Memorandum of 3 January, 1952, ATIC was tasked to provide the means and personnel to enable the capture of photographic evidence of "UFOs", both visually and of radar scopes that might have detected them.

Currently there is no complete breakdown of all the programs ATIC might have initiated in the fulfillment of this mission.  However, the following documents reveal various projects and research into advanced photographic techniques and the installation of gun cameras on F-86 jets in an effort to try to capture the "flying saucers" on film.

OFFICE OF THE CHIEF            1

ORGANIZATION:  The Office of the Chief, ATIC, is composed of the Commanding General, the Deputy Commander, the Executive Officer and the Assistant to the Chief.  The staff consists of the Inspector General, the Scientific Advisor, the Air Intelligence Officer and the Policy and Management Officer.  Subordinated to the Inspector General are the Internal Security Section and the Office of the Air Inspector.  Similarly subordinated to the Policy and Management Office are the Personnel, Comptroller and Air Adjutant General Branches.

FUNCTIONS:  The functions of the Office of the Chief, ATIC are to accomplish the air technical intelligence phases of the overall mission of D/I USAF, as follows:

To provide air technical and scientific intelligence services for USAF as required to prevent technological surprise from any source;

To produce air technical and scientific intelligence studies and estimates of alien capabilities to conduct aerial warfare;

To provide basic data on foreign air weapons and related materiel, necessary in the production of recognition manuals and performance handbooks;

To nominate, indoctrinate, train and provide technical guidance for ATLO's as required for the Air Attache system, and as required for various overseas Commands;


To conduct technical orientation and specialized training of attache personnel prior to their departure for foreign duty;

To indoctrinate selected Air Force personnel in the techniques necessary to conduct air technical and scientific intelligence operations in the field;

To investigate and analyse reports of unidentified aerial objects or of phenomena of possible concern to the air defense of the US;

To provide administrative services for WADC and AMC for their foreign scientists' program;

To provide air intelligence for AMC, WADC and certain components of ARDC;

To disseminate intelligence information concerning foreign air technological and scientific developments required by USAF research and development program;

To provide, as required, D/I USAF representation on Air Force and Joint boards and committees concerned with technical and scientific intelligence;

To establish requirements for air technical intelligence information, data and material and to provide technical guidance to collection agencies;

To participate in certain phases of the domestic exploitation program of other intelligence agencies as directed;

To provide limited translation services to D/I USAF, WADC, CADO and AMC upon request;


A proposal was submitted to consider use of US exchange officers for ATLO duty in England.  The exchange officers, because of their knowledge of specific fields, were believed to have superior experience for service in the ATLO field.

Through the efforts of ATIR-2, the installation of gun cameras in F-86's assigned to the Fighter Squadron at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base was assured. The purpose of these installations is to provide suitable photographs during flights resulting from reports or sightings of unidentified flying objects.

Steps were taken to insure that complete and continuing information covering a wide field of subjects and sources would be automatically forwarded to ATLO's.  The type of information to be furnished would include knowledge of new equipment useful in collection of technical information, references to collected information from other sources, and information assisting ATLO's in the performance of their functions.

Arrangements were completed with the Air Information Division, Library of Congress, for the collection of Soviet biographical data and for the fullest utilization of the Library in support of the air technical intelligence information effort.  Valuable contributions by the Library of Congress have already been made to the air technical intelligence collection effort.


specialized training in the fundamentals of photography and in the various photographic media applicable to the collection of technical intelligence.  These included 15 officer Air Attaches, 10 airmen, 27 ATLO's and 37 investigators.

Photographic research was carried on to determine inexpensive equipment by which photographs of unidentified flying objects and possible radiant energy therefrom could be recorded in silver or dye densities in the form of a spectral image with a single exposure.

Also conducted was a survey of available film emulsions and sensitometric studies to determine the film and developer combination with characteristics most suitable for recording a usable spectral image of unidentified aerial objects.

An optical system for laboratory testing of replica diffraction gratings was fabricated under simulated practical usage for an infinite object.  Using this system, 100 replica diffraction gratings were tested to determine photographic effectiveness.

A technical report entitled "A Fine Grain 35-mm Low Contrast High Speed Film Emulsion Developer Combination", was prepared as a result of extensive research and experimentation.  The report showed that the effective emulsion speed of Kodak Super XX could be increased two to four times.

The Orientation and Indoctrination project continued to show progress.  A part of this program is devoted to airman assigned to the Center who are given an "Information and Education" course.  This function was delegated to the Center by the Base.



FUNCTIONS:.  The functions of this division are to produce finished air intelligence; to assemble and maintain working files of technical and scientific data essential to accurate continuing appraisal of foreign aeronautical equipment; to provide such basic data on foreign air weapons and related material as necessary to the preparation of recognition manuals and performance handbooks; and to produce technical reports of observations of unconventional aircraft, missiles or of such other airborne objects as might indicate an advance in technological knowledge by a foreign power.

The operations of the Division were more specifically defined in D/I USAF Office Memo, Number 22-5, dated 30 September 1952. The Memo stipulates that the functions of this division are to produce finished air technical intelligence; specifically, to analyse research and development, design and construction, processes of manufacture and performance of ground and airborne weapons and material pertinent to air operations of foreign nations in order to meet ATIC mission objectives and satisfy all using agencies; to assemble and maintain working files of technical and scientific data essential for a continuing appraisal of the capabilities of foreign aeronautical equipment;


to maintain liaison with other governmental agencies on air technical intelligence matters pertaining to the production of oral or written reports, briefs, estimates and studies necessary to fulfill Air Force Intelligence requirements; to provide basic data on foreign air weapons and related material necessary to the preparation of recognition manuals and performance handbooks; to prepare air technical intelligence publications as required; to compile data on certain aspects of atomic energy, and biological and chemical warfare.

BW, CW and AS will be limited to technical considerations related to weapons development such as atomic power plants and the incorporation of warheads with the vehicle.  Excluded are BW and CW agents and nuclear material.

ORGANIZATION:  The Special Studies Office (ATIA-4) was abolished during this reporting period.  As of 31 December, three offices remained: the Administrative, Plans and Operations, and Technical Advisor.  The division, in addition to the offices, consists of three branches: Aircraft and Propulsion (ATIAA), Electronics (AT1AE), and Associated Equipment (ATIAS).

Pending at the conclusion of the reporting period was a proposal to reorganise this division to effect a more equitable distribution of the work load among the Division's three Branches.  A Staff Study, dated 24 December, was prepared which recommended certain organisational changes and which was subsequently endorsed by the Commanding General.

Analysts are divided into three Branches: Aircraft and Propulsion (ATIAA);


The principal difficulty encountered was that of determining the radar echo area of selected US aircraft at 73 Mc.  This was overcome by model measurement of echo area by a contractor, Ohio State Research Foundation, and was accomplished by coordination with the Aircraft Radiation Laboratory of ARDC, using an already existing ARDC contract, by addition of $20,000 of ATIC funds.

Echo area measurements were made of models F-84, F-86, B-36, B-47, and B-50 aircraft, these being of most importance to SAC.  A final report of the estimated performance of Soviet 73 Mc radars "PEGMATIT". "RUS-2," and "DUMBO" against the above mentioned aircraft was prepared.  Distribution of this study, "Estimated Performance of Soviet Radar," was completed on 6 October.

At the request of ARDC, several echo area measurements of a model MX-1626 alrcraft were made.  The model aircraft echo area measurements made for this project are also useful to research and development projects, as no suitable measurements had previously been made in the 73 Mc band.  The only work remaining to be accomplished by the contractor is that of preparation of final reports on the F-86, B-47, B-50 and MX-1626 aircraft.

Project Blue Book:  The months of July and August brough(t) an al(l)-time high in the number of unidentified flying object reports received by ATIC through channels.  More than 500 were received during this two-month period.  Public curiosity necessitated a press conference and this was held on 20 July with Major General Sanford in charge.  ATIC representatives were present to answer specific questions.


During the last four months of 1952, the number of such reports fell from a high of 56 per day to an average of about one per day.  This decline probably has been due to the cessation of interest in the subject by the press.  The reports that came in, however, generally could be classed as "good" and required more time for analysis.

The Monthly Status Reports, discontinued during the summer of 1952, due to the heavy influx of reports, were resumed in the Fall.  Reports for the months of October, November and December were written and are in the process of being coordinated.

A conference was held with Major Fournet, D/I Liaison Officer for this Project.  Trips were also made to Maine, New York and California to investigate flying object reports.  To date, 100 Videon stereoscopic cameras, equipped with diffraction gratings over one lens, have been procured and received at ATIC.  The distribution of these cameras is awaiting coordination with AACS and Air Defense Command.  It is proposed that they be placed in certain control towers and radar sites in the US.

THE SOVIET YAK-11 AIRPLANE:  A technical report has been disseminated in accordance with the distribution list set up by ATIC, 14 November, and the project closed.

SOVIET SURFACE-TO SURFACE GUIDED MISSILES, 1000 NAUTICAL MILES MINIMUM RANGE:  Study draft was revised to incorporate changes which were indicated by recent intelligence information and further analysis.  Study is currently being re-reviewed with ATIA and ATI.

RAMEY Air  Force  Base,  Puerto Rico – Dec, 1952


Page 16


On 27 December an RB-50 aircraft, number 6881, of Detachment Seven, 55th Strat Recon Wg, Ramey AFB, PR while on a mission pertaining to project 5OAFS-7, overflew the Dominican Republic.  The aircraft was intercepted and fired upon by a Mosquito type fighter aircraft of the Dominican Air Force.

Radio Trujillo (Dominican Republic) requested that the aircraft land at Ciudad Trujillo;  the aircraft commander refused because of the excessive weight of the aircraft and the short length of runway at the Ciudad Trujillo airport.

The Detachment commander had briefed the Dominican Air Force on proposed flights of this nature in November.  It vas agreed at that time that overflight could be made anywhere within the Dominican Republic with the exception of certain specified areas, namely, the city of Ciudad Trujillo, training areas located approximately five miles west of the city, and the navy yards.  The aircraft did not violate any of these restricted areas.

Headquarters SAC is investigating the incident.

On 31 December at 0445Q RB-36, number 2007, 60th Strat Recon Sq, 72d Strat Recon Wg, while flying a 73 degrees outward heading on the Ramey radio beacon, altitude 8,000 feet, visibility excellent (a clear moonlit night), observed an unidentified object in the sky.  The object, which appeared to be a reddish-orange ball of flame, was

Page 17


seen on the horizon and approached the aircraft's left side, passed over the wing at a distance of approximately 300 feet, and then traveled away from the tail and climbed out of sight.  The aircraft commander, first pilot, and left scanner all observed the "flying saucer."

Training administered and manhours utilized by the Air Base Training Flight, attached to the 72d Operations Sq, 72d Air Base Group, during the period 1 December thru 31 December were as follows:

  Judo   Training 43 14
  Physical   Conditioning 1417 57
  Physical   Reconditioning 297 16
  Link   Trainer 130 130
  Judo  Training 43 14
  Code   240 20
  Film   Library 2310 85
  Range   (skeet) 362 104
  Range   (carbine .30 cal) 82 8
  Range   (pistol .45 cal) 32 4
  Range  (sub-machine gun) 1 1
  On-The-Job-Training 8119 312

Sixteen airmen attended the Base drivers School and upon completion of three day course fifteen of the airmen were awarded driver's permits.

    Download as .pdf Document

Historical Report Deputy Director For Estimates Directorate of Intelligence July 31, 52 to Dec 31, 1952

...the responsibility for its production assigned to AFOIN-2B.  The publication of this series, as stated in the memorandum, was to satisy (sic) a need of various organizations in the field torreceive (sic) on a current and timely basis, evaluated intelligence material which would add to our own basic intelligence material already in their possession but which either did not require total revision or the intelligence did not follow within a previously established and regulated revision schedule.  They would also satisy (sic) existing requirements in connection with intelligence estimates and current alterations or modifications thereto.

During the months of July, August, and September the volume of saucer reports received from all over the country created a major hardship to AFOIN-2A.  On 25 July 1952 Major D. J. Fournet was given the assignment of evaluating these reports.  During one 24-hour period 31 saucer reports were received by cable from various commands in addition to an average of 30 letters per day from civilians.  Close liaison was established between Air Technical Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, and AFOIN-2A and all information was forwarded to them for use in Project "BLUE BOOK."

Policy and Management Memorandum, No. 40-8, Office of the Deputy Director for Estimates, subject., "Preparation of Air lntelligence Notes, AFOIN," dated 20 November 1952. Filed in AFOIN-2B.

At the request of Major General Samford, Col Brown, accompanied by Mr. Jonathan N. Gilmore, attended a meeting of the Aircraft and Weapons Board on 4 November 1952 and other scheduled meetings on 7, 10, and 19 November and 3, 8, 16, and 20 December.  Colonel Brown by similar request attended meetings of the Air Council on 24 November and 23 and 31 December in order to be available to offer assistance on Intelligence questions scheduled for the agenda.

Briefings and lectures were presented on a continuing basis throughout this period. Those listed below are typical:

Daily Briefings

Daily Air Staff Briefing for the Air Staff

Weekly Briefings

For Deputy Director for Estimates (Friday)

Briefings (as required)

Secretary of the Air Force

Chief of Staff, USAF

Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, USAF

Chief of Naval Operations and subordinate Deputies

Other officers upon formal request

Air Command and Staff School - (Quarterly)

14 Oct 52 - Soviet Air Power

4 Nov 52 - Air Defense of the USSR

7 Nov 52 - Soviet Air Power

19 Nov 52 - Soviet Air Force

Stretegic Intelligence School - Quarterly

26 Aug 52 - Armed Forces (Air) Western Europe

8-9 Sep 52- Armed Forces (Air) Far East

11 Sep 52 - Military Significance of International Civil Aviation

16 Sep 52 - Armed Forces (Air Offensive) USSR

17 Sep 52 - Armed Forces USSR (Air Defense)

28 Nov 52 - Armed Forces (Air) Western Europe

8 Dec 52 - Armed Forces (Air) Far East

16 Dec 52 - Military Significance of International Civil Aviation

17 Dec 52 - Armed Forces (Air) USSR

Central Intelligence Agency

25 Nov 52 - Unidentified Flying Objects


Senator Stennis, Member Senate Committee on Armed Services,

29 Sep 52 "World Situation and Enemy Air Capabilities”

Weekly G-2. G-3 Briefing

30 Oct 52, Soviet Strategic Bombing Capabilities

4 Oct 52 - General Smart for USAF representatives to 5 Power °Conference regarding South East Asia, "CIA report Special Estimates ?? and general estimates - Communist China's Capabilities to aggressive action against Indo-China, Burma, Malay and Thailand.”

18 Nov 52 - General Eisenhower - Situation in Korea

26 Nov 52 - Secretary of Defense Designate, Mr. Wilson - Situation in Korea.

    Download as .pdf Document

Cover NorthEast Air Command Special UFO Study for 1952

Northeast Air Command Special Study 53-1:
Analysis Of Unidentified Vital Intelligence Sightings

(Click links above to read)

Study 53-1 was prepared by the Director of Intelligence, Northeast Air Command, and is an analysis of the unidentified vital Intelligence sightings which occurred within or adjacent to the Command area during the calendar year 1952.


History of Northeast Air Command
Intelligence Summary
1 January 1952 - 30 June 1952

(Click links above to read)

1952 Northeast Air Command Intelligence summary which was used to source information for Special Study 53-1.

History of 6621st Air Base Squadron
Sondrestrom Air Base Intelligence Summary
1 July 1953 - 31 December 1953

(Click links above to read)

1953 6621st Air Base Squadron (Sondrestrom Air Base) Intelligence summary which was used to source information for Special Study 53-1.

More 1952 Reports
1952 Documents
Return to MAIN PAGE