Roswell Morning Dispatch, - July 8, 1947

Report Flying Disk Found

By The Associated Press

      Two flying disks were reported found in Texas and at least one is being investigated by military officials as the total number of Texans claiming to have seen the mysterious objects passed the 50 mark yesterday.

      The disks were reported found on a beach near Trinity Bay, near Houston, and near Hillsboro.

      The Houston Chronicle said a great deal of mystery surrounded the one found near there by Norman Hargrave, a jeweler, Sunday. He first reported that he had found the aluminum disk floating near the beach while he and his wife were walking. He described it minutely, even giving an inscription he said it carried.

      Today he said it was all a joke, but the Chronicle, after extensive checking, said "there are some mysterious facts contained in his (Hargrave's) first report that lend credence to the tale."

      Hargrave first said the disk bore this wording: "Military secret of the United States of America. Army Air Forces M4339658. Anyone damaging or revealing description or whereabouts of this missile subject to prosecution by the U.S. government. Call collect at once, LD446, Army Air Forces Denot, Spokane, Wash." He said the words "non-explosive" also were carried.

      It was recalled that the initial reports of flying saucers or disks originated in the Spokane area.

      The Chronicle, meanwhile, telephoned Spokane, and said it "brought interest" on the part of the commanding officer, but he would not confirm or deny that the missile may have carried the message. Later he referred Houston to Wright Field, Ohio, but the commanding officer there was out of town.

      In Houston, Col. R. W. Warren, commanding officer of Ellington Field, said he had been instructed by Washington to investigate.

      Houston police would not say if they had the missile.

      The second flying disks (sic) was reported found by Bob Scott, a farmer living two and a half miles east of Hillsboro. He said the disk fell on his place Friday, and that it resembled a saucer. He said it was so bright he could not look at it very long.

      He said he was afraid people might believe he was "going to extremes in imagining things" and he told no one but his family until yesterday.

      Then he notified O.F. Kissick and Joe Gerick, Hillsboro, who went to the field and investigated. Most of it had melted, they said. Gerick said one piece looked like tin foil, but when he picked it up, it appeared to be celluloid.

      Another development in Houston was a suggestion by Charles Odom, 23, air force captain in the last war, that the flying disks might be "crystal balls" similar to those he said were used by the Nazis.

      He said these balls were electronically operated, and while in midair would send back to a radar screen on the ground the altitude, speed and other data of bombers it approached. He said the balls would fly up to the altitude of bombers, were apparently magnetized, and then flew along with the plane formations.

      Odom is now with Pan American Airways.

      His suggestion brought a comment from Col. J. D. Ryan of the 8th Air Force, Fort Worth Army Air Field, that he had never seen such balls, nor had he ever heard of them, although he made about 60 missions.

      Col. Ryan said the U.S. now uses a balloon sent aloft to gain such information. The balloon has a reflector on the bottom which is picked up by ground radar. He said they were made of rubber, but as they expanded they became opaque.

      Meanwhile, more and more Texans reported seeing the flying saucers. Mrs. Sadie McCauley of Houston said she saw seven flying over Texas City at 4:05 p.m. Sunday. She said she and several other passengers on a bus saw them from the Alvin Highway. She said they were flying in a single line.

      Mrs. R. R. Whitlock of Bonham said she saw it was heading south. She said it fit the "usual description."

      Jim Purdy, Lubbock store manager and former pilot with the Royal Air Force, said he saw a "silvery disk-shaped object" flying above Lubbock about 1:39 p. m. Sunday. He said it fit the description of the flying saucers.

      He said he first saw it at about 1,000 feet altitude, moving to a slow, tumbling motion that exposed a bright side and a dull side. After about 20 seconds, it gained speed rapidly and began flying in a direct line toward the northeast.

      Purdy, a pilot since 1939, said the object did not have any of the characteristics of a plane. He said for one thing it gained speed much more rapidly than any plane he had ever seen.

      G.B. Garrett of Corsicana said he had seen one of the disks June 26 near Madisonville. He said it was headed in the direction of Houston at an undetermined speed. He said it looked like a huge shiny mirror, silvery in color. He said he saw it long enough to know it was not an airplane.

      Over 50 Texans have reported seeing the mysterious objects during the last ten days.

Roswell Daily Record - July 8, 1947

RAAF Captures Flying Saucer
On Ranch in Roswell Region

No Details of Flying Disk Are Revealed

Roswell Hardware Man and Wife Report Disk Seen

The intelligence office of the 509th Bombardment group at Roswell Army Air Field announced at noon today, that the field has come into possession of a flying saucer.

      According to information released by the department, over authority of Maj. J. A. Marcel, intelligence officer, the disk was recovered on a ranch in the Roswell vicinity, after an unidentified rancher had notified Sheriff Geo. Wilcox here, that he had found the instrument on his premises.

      Major Marcel and a detail from his department went to the ranch and recovered the disk, it was stated.

      After the intelligence officer here had inspected the instrument it was flown to higher headquarters.

      The intelligence office stated that no details of the saucer's construction or its appearance had been revealed.

      Mr. and Mrs. Dan Wilmot apparently were the only persons in Roswell who saw what they thought was a flying disk.

      They were sitting on their porch at 105 South Penn. last Wednesday night at about ten o'clock when a large glowing object zoomed out of the sky from the southeast, going in a northwesterly direction at a high rate of speed.

      Wilmot called Mrs. Wilmot's attention to it and both ran down into the yard to watch.   It was in sight less then a minute, perhaps 40 or 50 seconds, Wilmot estimated.

      Wilmot said that it appeared to him to be about 1,500 feet high and going fast.   He estimated between 400 and 500 miles per hour.

      In appearance it looked oval in shape like two inverted saucers, faced mouth to mouth, or like two old type washbowls placed together in the same fashion.   The entire body glowed as though light were showing through from inside, though not like it would be if a light were underneath.

      From where he stood Wilmot said that the object looked to be about 5 feet in size, and making allowance for the distance it was from town he figured that it must have been 15 to 20 feet in diameter, though this was just a guess.

      Wilmot said that he heard no sound but that Mrs. Wilmot said she heard a swishing sound for a very short time.

      The object came into view from the southeast and disappeared over the treetops in the general vicinity of six mile hill.

      Wilmot, who is one of the most respected and reliable citizens in town, kept the story to himself hoping that someone else would come out and tell about having seen one, but finally today decided that he would go ahead and tell about it.   The announcement that the RAAF was in possession of one came only a few minutes after he decided to release the details of what he had seen.

San Francisco Chronicle - July 9, 1947


      "The many rumors regarding the flying disk became a reality yesterday when the intelligence office of the 509th Bomb Group of the Eight Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc through the co-operation of one of the local ranchers and the Sheriff's Office of Chaves county.

      "The flying object landed on a ranch near Roswell sometime last week. Not having phone facilities, the rancher stored the disc until such time as he was able to contact the Sheriff's office, who in turn notified Major Jesse A. Marcel, of the 509th Bomb Group Intelligence office.

      "Action was immediately taken and the disc was picked up at the rancher's home. It was inspected at the Roswell Army Air Field and subsequently loaned by Major Marcel to higher headquarters."

The Wyoming Eagle - July 9, 1947


Kite-Like Device Found in N.M.;  Studied by Army


      Washington, July 8 --(UP) -- The mystery of the "flying saucers" took a new twist tonight with the disclosure that the army air forces has recovered a strange object in New Mexico and is forwarding it to Wright Field, Dayton, O., for examination.

      Announcement of the find came first from the Roswell, N. Mex. army air base, near where a "saucer" was found three weeks ago.

      AAF headquarters later revealed that a "security lid" has been clamped on all but the sketchiest details of the discovery.

      AAF spokesman would say only that the "saucer" was a flimsily-constructed, kite-like object measuring about 25 feet in diameter and covered with a material resembling tin foil.

      A telephonic report from Brig. Gen. Roger B. Ramey, commander of the Eighth Air Force at Ft. Worth, Texas, said the purported "saucer" was badly battered when discovered by a rancher at Corona, 75 miles northwest of Roswell, N.M.

      Ramey scoffed at the possibility that the object could have attained the supersonic speeds credited to the "flying saucers" allegedly spotted in recent weeks.

      He reported that the object was too lightly constructed to have carried anyone and that there was no evidence that it had had a power plant of any sort.

      It bore no identification marks and Ramey emphasized that no one had seen it in flight.

      AAF sources ruled out the possibility that it might have been an army weather-kite.   Helium balloons have been used for weather recording for the past seven or eight years.

      They said it had been sent to Ft. Worth by Superfortress for transhipment to the AAF experimental center at Dayton.

      AAF commanders in New Mexico refused to permit the object to be photographed on the grounds that it was "high level stuff," although Ramey indicated he was not attaching too great importance to the find pending an investigation.

      The Roswell announcement came from Col. William H. Blanchard, commanding officer of the Roswell army air base, who specifically described the discovery as "a flying disc."

      He said the disc had been forwarded to higher headquarters, presumably the commanding general of the 8th air force at Ft. Worth, Tex.

      Blanchard would reveal no further details.

      Sheriff George Wilcox of Roswell said the disc was found about three weeks ago by W.W. Brizell (sic), on the Foster ranch at Corona, 75 miles northwest of Roswell.

      Wilcox said that Brizell does not have a telephone and so did not report finding the disc until the day before yesterday.   Brizell told the sheriff he didn't know just what the disc was, but that at first it appeared to be a weather meter.

      The sheriff's office notified the army, which sent intelligence officers to pick up the object.   Then today the army announced possession of a disc.

      The sheriff quoted Brizell as saying the object "seemed more or less like tinfoil."   The rancher described the disc as about as large as a safe in the sheriff's office.

      The safe is about three and one-half by four feet.

The Ceylon Observer - July 9, 1947


Conflicting Reports on Mystery Objects


The "Flying Saucer" mystery deepens.

      Reuter reports today indicate that the mysterious objects have been seen not only in the U.S.A. -- where reports have come from 41 states -- but in Canada, Australia and South Africa.

Statements regarding the size of the discs vary from "as big as gramaphone records" to "a diameter of 200 feet with a centre hole."

      Meanwhile, the World Inventors Congress has offered a thousand dollars reward for the delivery of a "flying saucer" to their exhibition at Los Angeles this week.

      Concrete evidence too has not been wanting, so far three reports of "discs" or parts of discs being reported.   While one discovery reports a "flimsy construction" with material "some sort of tin foil," another speaks of diecast metal an eighth of an inch thick melting only at a heat of 6,300 degrees, and third speaks of "rock-like metal" which rained down from a huge flying disc.

      In the meantime at Sydney Professor of Physiology, H. P. Cotton of the Sydney University conducted an experiment with his class of 450 students and demonstrated that, when one looks at a clear sky concentrating on a fixed point while standing perfectly still rapidly-moving bright, oval-shaped objects are seen.   This he explained was due to the red corpuscles of the blood having (sic) in front of the retina.

      The first concrete evidence was announced last night when United States Army Air Force authorities at Roswell, New Mexico, revealed that a flying disc had been found on the airfield.

      General Roger Ramey, Commander of the Eighth Air Force with headquarters at Fort Worth Texas, received the object from Roswell Army Air Base.   It is being shipped by air to the Army Air Force Research Centre at Wright Field, Ohio.

      In a telephone conversation with Army Air Force Headquarters in Washington he described the object as a "flimsy construction almost like a box."

      So far as investigation could determine no one had seen the object in the air, the General added.  Asked what the material seemed to be, Air Force officials in Washington described it as "apparently some sort of tin foil."

      It would have had a diameter of about 20 to 25 feet if reconstructed, the officials added.   Nothing in its apparent construction indicated any capacity for speed and there was no evidence of a power plant.  The discs construction seemed too flimsy to have enabled it to carry a man.


      Army Air Force Headquarters said later that the officer who had seen the object held a strong opinion that it might be a meteorological device.   "There is some indication that the object might have been attached to a balloon which squares with the description of meteorological equipment we have in use," it was stated.

      Meanwhile a man in Oelwein, Iowa, claimed that a flying saucer had crashed into his front yard last night.   He said that he found a piece of metal in his yard six and a half inches in diameter and about an eighth of an inch thick.   Planes were overhead at the time of the object's descent, he said.   The man, Lloyd Bennett, stated that he had a piece of the material analysed by a metallurgist who said that the disc appeared to be of some diecast metal which only melted at a heat of 6,300 degrees.


      A Chicago report says that a piece of rocklike metal, alleged to have dropped from one of the "Flying Saucers" arrived yesterday for analysis by metallurgists of Chicago University.

      The sender, Mr. Harold Dahl, of Tacoma, Washington State, said that on June 25 over Puget Sound, near the Canadian border, he and two companions on board a small boat saw what appeared to be huge silver doughnuts coming down between the clouds.

      He anchored his boat and went ashore and watched the objects through binoculars.   He saw five objects floating around a sixth.   They were about 200 feet in diameter with a centre hole surrounded by what appeared to be a row of portholes.

      The ships, as Mr. Dahl described them, came level at about fifteen hundred feet and then rose rapidly to a height of nearly a mile.

      At this point, according to Mr Dahl, the centre ship began trailing a substance that rained down upon the water and along the shore.   Pieces of the "metal rain" smashed a part of the wheel house of his boat and broke a searchlight lens on deck.


      The South African report says that two Johannesburg residents have reported that they saw "flying saucers" over the city early yesterday.

      They said that the objects were about as big as gramaphone records and were revolving at a great speed in a "V" formation.   The objects disappeared in a cloud of smoke, they added.

      Six people claimed to have seen "flying saucers" in the skies over Sydney in the last 24 hours.

      One man said he saw a bright, oval-shaped object in the sky at night at a height of about ten thousand feet.   His description was identical with those of the objects reported to have been seen in the skies over Canada and parts of the U.S.A. -- (Reuter)

Roswell Daily Record - July 9, 1947

Gen. Ramey Empties Roswell Saucer

Ramey Says Excitement is Not Justified

General Ramey Says Disk is Weather Balloon

Fort Worth, Texas, July 9 (AP)--An examination by the army revealed last night that mysterious objects found on a lonely New Mexico ranch was a harmless high-altitude weather balloon -- not a grounded flying disk.  Excitement was high until Brig. Gen. Roger M. Ramey, commander of the Eighth air forces with headquarters here cleared up the mystery.

      The bundle of tinfoil, broken wood beams and rubber remnants of a balloon were sent here yesterday by army air transport in the wake of reports that it was a flying disk.

      But the general said the objects were the crushed remains of a ray wind (sic) target used to determine the direction and velocity of winds at high altitudes.

      Warrant Officer Irving Newton, forecaster at the army air forces weather station here said, "we use them because they go much higher than the eye can see."

      The weather balloon was found several days ago near the center of New Mexico by Rancher W. W. Brazel.   He said he didn't think much about it until he went into Corona, N. M., last Saturday and heard the flying disk reports.

      He returned to his ranch, 85 miles northwest of Roswell, and recovered the wreckage of the balloon, which he had placed under some brush.

      Then Brazel hurried back to Roswell, where he reported his find to the sheriff's office.

The sheriff called the Roswell air field and Maj. Jesse A. Marcel, 509th bomb group intelligence officer was assigned to the case.

      Col. William H. Blanchard, commanding officer of the bomb group, reported the find to General Ramey and the object was flown immediately to the army air field here.

      Ramey went on the air here last night to announce the New Mexico discovery was not a flying disk.

      Newton said that when rigged up, the instrument "looks like a six-pointed star, is silvery in appearance and rises in the air like a kite."

      In Roswell, the discovery set off a flurry of excitement.

Sheriff George Wilcox's telephone lines were jammed.  Three calls came from England, one of them from The London Daily Mail, he said.

      A public relations officer here said the balloon was in his office "and it'll probably stay right there."

      Newton, who made the examination, said some 80 weather stations in the U.S. were using that type of balloon and that it could have come from any of them.

      He said he had sent up identical balloons during the invasion of Okinawa to determine ballistics information for heavy guns.

Roswell Daily Record - July 9, 1947

Harassed Rancher who Located
'Saucer' Sorry He Told About It

      W.W. Brazel, 48, Lincoln county rancher living 30 miles south east of Corona, today told his story of finding what the army at first described as a flying disk, but the publicity which attended his find caused him to add that if he ever found anything short of a bomb he sure wasn't going to say anything about it.

      Brazel was brought here late yesterday by W.E. Whitmore, of radio station KGFL, had his picture taken and gave an interview to the Record and Jason Kellahin, sent here from the Albuquerque bureau of the Associated Press to cover the story.   The picture he posed for was sent out over the AP telephoto wire sending machine specially set up in the Record office by R. D. Adair, AP wire chief sent here for the sole purpose of getting out the picture and that of sheriff George Wilcox, to whom Brazel originally gave the information of his find.

      Brazel related that on June 14 he and 8-year-old son, Vernon were about 7 or 8 miles from the ranch house of the J.B. Foster ranch, which he operates, when they came upon a large area of bright wreckage made up on (sic) rubber strips, tinfoil, a rather tough paper and sticks.

      At the time Brazel was in a hurry to get his round made and he did not pay much attenion to it.  But he did remark about what he had seen and on July 4 he, his wife, Vernon, and a daughter Betty, age 14, went back to the spot and gathered up quite a bit of the debris.

      The next day he first heard about the flying disks, and he wondered if what he had found might be the remnants of one of these.

      Monday he came to town to sell some wool and while here he went to see sheriff George Wilcox and "whispered kinda confidential like" that he might have found a flying disk.

      Wilcox got in touch with the Roswell Army Air Field and Maj. Jesse A. Marcel and a man in plain clothes accompanied him home, where they picked up the rest of the pieces of the "disk" and went to his home to try to reconstruct it.

      According to Brazel they simply could not reconstruct it at all.   They tried to make a kite out of it, but could not do that and could not find any way to put it back together so that it would fit.

      Then Major Marcel brought it to Roswell and that was the last he heard of it until the story broke that he had found a flying disk.

      Brazel said that he did not see it fall from the sky and did not see it before it was torn up, so he did not know the size or shape it might have been, but he thought it might have been about as large as a table top.  The balloon which held it up, if that was how it worked, must have been about 12 feet long, he felt, measuring the distance by the size of the room in which he sat.   The rubber was smoky gray in color and scattered over an area about 200 yards in diameter.

      When the debris was gathered up the tinfoil, paper, tape, and sticks made a bundle about three feet long and 7 or 8 inches thick, while the rubber made a bundle about 18 or 20 inches long and about 8 inches thick.   In all, he estimated, the entire lot would have weighed maybe five pounds.

      There was no sign of any metal in the area which might have been used for an engine and no sign of any propellors of any kind, although at least one paper fin had been glued onto some of the tinfoil.

      There were no words to be found anywhere on the instrument, although there were letters on some of the parts.   Considerable scotch tape and some tape with flowers printed upon it had been used in the construction.

      No strings or wire were to be found but there were some eyelets in the paper to indicate that some sort of attachment may have been used.

      Brazel said that he had previously found two weather balloons on the ranch, but that what he found this time did not in any way resemble either of these.

      "I am sure what I found was not any weather observation balloon," he said.   "But if I find anything else besides a bomb they are going to have a hard time getting me to say anything about it."

Las Vegas Review-Journal - July 9, 1947


By United Press

(UP) -- Reports of flying saucers whizzing through the sky fell off sharply today as the army and navy began a concentrated campaign to stop the rumors.

      One by one, persons who thought they had their hands on the $3,000 offered for a genuine flying saucer found their hands full of nothing.

      Headquarters of the 8th army at Fort Worth, Texas, announced that the wreckage of a tin-foil covered object found on a New Mexico ranch was nothing more than the remnants of a weather balloon.   AAF headquarters in Washington reportedly delivered a "blistering" rebuke to officers at the Roswell, New Mexico, base for suggesting that it was a "flying disc."

      A 16 inch aluminum disc equipped with two radio condensers, a fluorescent light switch and copper tubing found by F.G. Harston near the Shreveport, Louisiana, business district was declared by police to be "obviously the work of a prankster."   Police believed the prankster hurled it over a sign board and watched it land at Harston's feet.   It was turned over to officials at Barksdale army air field.

      U.S. naval intelligence officers at Pearl Harbor investigated claims by 100 navy men that they saw a mysterious object "silvery colored, like aluminum, with no wings or tail," sail over Honolulu at a rapid clip late yesterday.   The description fit a weather balloon but 5 of the men, familiar with weather observation devices, swore that it was not a balloon.

      "It moved extremely fast for a short period, seemed to slow down, then disappeared high in the air," said Yeoman 1/C Douglas Kacherle of New Bedford, Massachusetts.   His story was corroborated by Seaman 1/C Donald Ferguson, Indianapolis; Yeoman 3/C Morris Kzamme, La. Crosse, Wisconsin, Seaman 1/C Albert Delancey, Salem, West Virginia, and Yeoman 2/C Ted Pardue, McClain, Texas.

      Admiral William H. Blandy, commander-in-chief of the Atlantic fleet, said like everyone else he was curious about the reported flying saucers "but I do not believe they exist."

      Lloyd Bennett, Oelwein, Iowa, salesman, was stubborn about the shiny 6 1/2-inch steel disc he found yesterday.   Authorities said it was not a "flying saucer" but Bennett said he would claim the reward offered for the mysterious discs.

      There were other discards.  Not all the principles were satisfied with the announcement that the wreckage found on the New Mexico ranch was that of a weather balloon.

      The excitement ran thru this cycle:

    1.  Lieut. Warren Haught, public relations officer at the Roswell Base released a statement in the name of Col. William Blanchard, base commander.   It said that an object described as a "flying disk" was found on the nearby Foster ranch three weeks ago by W.W. Brazel and had been sent to "higher officials" for examination.

    2.  Brig. Gen. Roger B. Ramey, commander of the 8th Air Force said at Fort Worth that he believed the object was the "remnant of a weather balloon and a radar reflector," and was "nothing to be excited about."   He allowed photographers to take a picture of it.   It was announced that the object would be sent to Wright Field, Dayton, OH.

    3.   Later, Warrant Officer Irving Newton, Stetsonville, Wisconsin, weather officer at Fort Worth, examined the object and said definitely that it was nothing but a badly smashed target used to determine the direction and velocity of high altitude winds.

    4.   Lt. Haught reportedly told reporters that he had been "shut up by two blistering phone calls from Washington."

    5.   Efforts to contact Col. Blanchard brought the information that "he is now on leave."

    6.   Maj. Jesse A. Marcel, intelligence officer of the 509th bombardment group, reportedly told Brazel, the finder of the object, that "it has nothing to do with army or navy so far as I can tell."

    7.  Brazel told reporters that he has found weather balloon equipment before, but had seen nothing that had resembled his latest find.

    8.  Those men who saw the object said it had a flowered paper tape around it bearing the initials "D.P."

World Independent

With Full Leased Wire Facilities of the United Press


Roswell 'Flying Disc' Report
Turns Out to Be Weather Balloon

    Roswell, New Mexico, July 9--(UP) William W. Brazel is perturbed over all the fuss he says these flying discs have caused.  Brazel is the 45-year-old rancher who caught the attention of the world briefly yesterday when it was reported he had found a "flying disc."

    Brazel works on the ranch of J.B. Foster of Kent, Texas -- about 65 miles east of Corona, New Mexico.  He found the object around 7 o'clock the night of June 14 about seven miles south of his ranch home.

    The object at first was identified by the Public Relations Branch of the Roswell Army Air Base as a "flying disc."   But it later was said by high army officials to be parts of a weather balloon.

    Brazel says he was rounding up cattle when he noticed bits of the object strewn over an area of several hundred yards and parts of heavy paper hanging on cactus in the area.   He says that he didn't know what it was at first, but it did not appear to be like any of the standard weather balloons which he has found on his place on several occasions.

    The object is described as being of "about 20 sticks, heavy paper, light grayish rubber -- very thin -- and covered with what appeared to be tinfoil."

Louisville (Kentucky) Courier-Journal - July 9, 1947

Part of Weather Balloon
Has Army Up In the Air

'Celestial Saucer' Proves Another Washout;
Disk Reports Pour In From Other Countries

Special From The New York Times to The Courier-Journal

    New York, July 8.-- Celestial crockery had the Army up in the air for several hours today before an Army officer explained that what a colleague thought was "a flying saucer" was nothing more than part of a battered Army weather balloon.

    This denouement closed the New Mexico chapter in the "flying saucer" saga that already had contributions from 43 other states in the Union as well as from Australia, England, South Africa, Mexico, and Canada.

    However, none of the previous or subsequent reports of strange heavenly bodies created so much confusion as the startling announcement from an Army lieutenant that "a flying disk" had been found on a ranch near Roswell, N.M., near the scene of atomic-bomb tests.  The officer, Lt. Warren Haut, public information officer of the Roswell Army Airfield, made no bones about the discovery in his detailed report.

    "The many rumors regarding the flying disk became a reality," his statement began.  He told which intelligence office of what bomb group of the Eighth Air Force had passed "the flying disk" along "to higher headquarters."

    Then phones began to buzz between Washington and New Mexico and the "disk" was well on the way to showing how the circle could be squared.  One by one, as the rank of the investigating officer rose, the circle lost arcs and developed sides until it was roughly octagonal.

    Within an hour after Lieutenant Haut had given new impetus to the "flying saucer" derby, his boss, Brig. Gen. Roger B. Ramey, had a somewhat different version of "the flying disk."

    He said that while it was true it had been found on a ranch, no one had seen it in the air; it was "of flimsy construction," apparently made "of some sort of tinfoil." Subsequently it was reportedly flown to a research laboratory at Wright Field, Ohio.

    In Washington, Lt. Gen. Hoyt Vandenberg, deputy chief of the Army Air Forces, hurried to his headquarters press section.  Atomic experts in the capital were certain that whatever had been found was not any of their doing, but no one seemed to know just how to dispose of the object.

    Finally a lowly warrant officer, Irving Newton, a forecaster at the Fort Worth, Tex., weather station, solved the mystery.  He said it was just part of a weather balloon, such as is used by 80 weather stations in the country to determine velocity and direction of winds at high altitude.

Dillon, (Montana) The Dillon Examiner - July 9, 1947


Dillon is no longer in the exclusive category of not having any eye witnesses to these new fan danglde (sic) flying saucers that are said to be zipping through the great open spaces.  Bennie Davis has spoiled the Record.  He is not one of those people who have developed a stiff neck and goggle eyes from star gazing and searching for the missiles that are said to be seen here, there and everywhere.  In other words he suffers from no “flying saucer jag.”  Last night about 3 a. m. while washing away on a car and listening to a radio, his program was suddenly interrupted and in attending to the radio he happened to glance skyward and there they were — three of them.  Whether the program disturbance was caused by the radio or if it was the saucers that caused the disturbance, is not known.  Their movement through the sky was similar to that of falling stars, a rather bluish green light as a streamer tail light, and they seemed to move from east to west.  Some tourists coming from Butte who had stopped at the service station earlier in the evening had told Bennie that they had seen some flying saucers but Bennie had not paid much attention to their conversation.

   Anyhow, from now on, it is predicted that sky watching will become a more popular pastime in Dillon.

More 1947 Reports
1947 Documents
Return to MAIN PAGE